Mundane Faithfulness

Yes, I am borrowing the title of the lovely Kara Tippetts' blog. Not that I have a story that could in any way be compared to hers (but like Aslan said, each of our stories is our alone, we cannot truly see the why of someone else's), but she has inspired me, has touched my life in a profound way. So this is my small acknowledgement.

At the moment too, it's fitting. Really we're not in a season of what I would consider mundane faithfulness, per se. The Lord has blessed us with big, bold, and beautiful dreams and fulfillments of dreams this year - but even in the midst of those big moments, there are much smaller, simpler ones in which He calls us to be faithful.

So with those profound musings setting the stage, this post is a fairly simple life update -

This month is our calm before the storm. It is Life Group on Wednesdays with our dear friends that we've gotten to know more and more intimately through the past few months. It is a marriage course on Tuesdays that we are working through to try to proactively keep love and trust alive and well in our relationship. It is Wednesday afternoon classes and 10pm check-ins with Tuck, and Saturday coffee dates. Life is simple and sweet and we are praising God for how simple and sweet it is.

This is what I love most about England. I know I've already used the word 'simple' almost to the point of annoying repetition at this point, but both seasons I've been blessed to reside in the 'green and pleasant land' that is how I would choose to describe it. Let me give you some examples to illustrate.

Last weekend, Josh and I decided to work together to revamp my wardrobe. Not to buy new things, but to make the best use of the too many clothes I already have. To simplify. I had gotten excited about a blog I had stumbled across (Unfancy, and you can check it out if you too want to simplify your wardrobe) that had directions for how to make the most of the clothing you own. I think it was targeted more towards those who struggle with too much shopping and that sort of thing, but I struggle with being able to put an outfit together that I feel pretty and confident in and, consequentially, often end up wearing the same thing over and over again, even though I own way more than enough. So Josh, being the wonderful, patient, talented organizer that he is, agreed to give up his Saturday evening to help me sort through my clothes and put together an approximately 37 piece suite (including shoes) for everyday life.

A look at the wardrobe - final product minus coats


About eight pairs of shoes - I'm actually using my black boots instead of the black sandals as it's been in the 50s and low 60s for the last two weeks.

11 shirts and sweaters, three jackets/cardigans

four dresses, three skirts, one pair of jeans, one pair of khakis, and three pairs of capris

Not pictured: one pair of hole-y jeans, two cocktail dresses, my boots, an extra pair of dress sandals, and wool coats (2). 

Those pieces of course don't include pajamas, undergarments, work out clothes, or the pair of jeans I can work in the garden in. Those weren't in the capsule plan - which works out just fine. Everything fits nice and tidily in my wardrobe or my little four-drawer chest. Simple, easy, and so much less stressful. All in all our capsule probably ended up being more like 40ish pieces if you count coats, due to our miscalculation about weather patterns this time of year in England. 

As I've mentioned a few times before, I own a bicycle. So that gives me two (really three) transportation options. I can cycle, walk, and, if I'm desperate, really desperate, I can attempt to use public transportation (or, if I'm lugging an extraordinarily heavy suitcase, very rarely I'll hail a taxi). But other than chain greasing, tire refilling, and the odd gear shifter breaking, again, this makes things simple. No insurance, no taxes, I just have to remember to bring my lock and key. Josh doesn't own any personal transport except his loafers, so that makes us going anywhere together also pretty simple - can we walk there? No? Well, unless our friends are driving or the train/coach goes there, we don't either.

Did I mention we only own three pots and pans? Not three of each - three total. And miracle of miracles, even with all the cooking we like to do, it works. Now it isn't always easy, but we can always make it work. And when you only have three pots, you only have to wash three pots.

I don't say any of this to sound self-righteous or like we've got it all worked out. Most of this 'simplifying' was sort of forced on us by our baggage restriction when we hopped the pond. But what I am saying is, I've learned it works, and I like it a whole lot. Sometimes, in some seasons, simple is better. For us here and now it means more time together, more time adventuring, and more money to spend on memories. I'm thankful for the season, as mundane as it may seem to those looking in from outside. I think I can speak for both of us in saying that, at the moment, the mundane is marvelous.

Comments