Discoveries

So I've discovered Ed Sheeran....

If there's an ugly underbelly, you might need to warn me posthaste because I'm enchanted... I'm pretty certain that his music has to be added to the list of things that make my soul sing. (I guess it's worth noting that everyone's happier when my soul sings because I definitely don't have his vocal cords...).

Anyway, that's all my gushing for that. If you haven't listened to him at all, my top songs right now are Thinking Out Loud, I See Fire, and Photograph. Please note that the official music video for Thinking Out Loud is a little sketchy (as far as clothing goes) so I recommend this version. I'm currently exploring for more inspiring musicality... on the weekends anyway or during writing breaks.

Which is a fairly legitimate reason for my lack of posting (combined with an INCREDIBLY full weekend last weekend with attendance at the Global Scholars Symposium from Thursday evening to Sunday late afternoon). Speaking of which, we had the privilege of hosting a lovely new friend from Cambodia who was also a symposium delegate. He is studying International Relations at Warwick and it was truly a pleasure to get to know him. That's one of the incredible benefits/blessings of living in a world-ranked university - you meet so many interesting people from all over! The Symposium was interesting, bringing to the fore some of the major issues of our time including the role of science, public health, gender equality, and stewarding the environment. All in all it was a very thought-provoking event.

Me with our guest before our formal at John's

The other fun part of the symposium was running into the sister of a friend from my uni days! On the first night of the conference we had "speed friending" - kind of like speed dating, they said, but where the goal is to put them in the friend zone within the two minute allotted time. She reminded me a lot of a dear friend in the States and when we introduced ourselves, it quickly became apparent that we had a mutual connection. She was a lifesaver and an answer to a prayer I hadn't prayed as a discussion buddy on the topics of the conference. So nice to meet fellow believers when you feel like you're in the trenches.

Speaking of believers, it seems like we've just had a friend explosion over the past few weeks! We've met so many lovely people that we've connected with and have also been going deeper in our friendships with people from church and our Life Group. We're so thankful God has put brothers and sisters beside us to do life with!

Friends from church, Marriage Course, and Life Group
We've also had a ton of fun hanging out with people from school, making new friends and going new places (like Darwin College's Island! Yes, they have their own island right there in the Cam...). We've been celebrating birthdays, enjoying the Botanic Gardens, and just having a grand old time now that the weather's a little nicer!

Happy birthday to Tania (middle in pink) on Darwin Island!

So yeah, as far as writing goes (wait, that is why I'm here, right?), I'm trying to cram in as much as possible between now and the end of next week when my parents come to visit (!!!!). Can you tell I'm excited? Last week I think I logged somewhere between 6,900 and 8,100 words between Tuesday and Saturday, many of which were "quality," at least in a drafting sense. I'm starting to see at least the midway marker I think... we're getting so close! By Saturday, my wrists and my brain were pretty much screaming for a break so I've tried not to do too much typing this weekend and I might let Monday morning pass as well....

Thanks to everyone who is praying for us as we pray to discern what's next after Cambridge. We're not 100% sure what or where yet, but we are absolutely certain that God has a good plan and good timing. We love being on His adventure! Sending kisses from Cambridge, xx.

Comments