Transformers, Dominoes, and Umbrellas

Just another day in the life right?

Saturday Josh arrived - the Eagle has landed! - and the fun and festivities began! It was a blessing that he came on a weekend because this is probably one of the craziest weeks of the term for me. Instead of frenetic settling in, we were blessed to enjoy a new church together for the first time, a walk through the history of Medieval Cambridge with a former St. John's fellow, nesting with the other half of our possessions here, grocery shopping together, snuggling in front of our "boiler" (gas fireplace), and finding a cute little Italian place for dessert. It was a GREAT weekend. I am praising God for His kindness and compassion in bringing Josh across the pond so soon!







One of the oldest churches in Cambridge, St. 
Peter's, has brick recycled from the Roman 
settlement that was here!


The complication of there being two of us is that we only have one and a half ethernet cords... I mean, not exactly, but I'm kind of becoming best friends with our living room wall since I have to sit so close to it. To alleviate this problem, Josh brought over a wireless router (thanks Bo and Kathryn! You two have been such wonderful supports to us in this whole process!), but.... it works on American power. We have a converter/adaptor that will allow us to plug it in, but the voltage here is way too high - it would get fried. I finally figured out what we actually need is a step-down transformer. Goodbye $26, it was nice knowing you...


This evening we had a frozen pizza that we bought yesterday. We had decided to keep it simple and stick with pepperoni. Now, it wasn't terrible, but it definitely wasn't Digiornio either. While we ate and sketched out our week's schedule, we were looking at the pizza ads I gathered at the Freshers' Fair last week (a big welcome event where you can sign up for the various societies, meet people in organizations, get information on the myriad "cool" things to join, etc. We were laughing because while they do have some American faves, they also feature such offerings as Tandoori Hot with tandoori chicken, red onions, green & red peppers, mushrooms, and jalapenos; Tuna Delight with tuna, red onions, and sweetcorn; and Texas BBQ with BBQ sauce, chicken breast strips, smoked bacon rashers, red onions, and green & red peppers. No, I'm not making that up. They really make tuna pizza here. And as if that wasn't strange enough, you can also get Chicken Strippers (an unfortunate choice of words), Coleslaw (give 'em American food, lots of American food, they'll love it!), or, if you're hungry for dessert, Chocolate Twisted Dough Balls.... Lol. What will they come up with next? Dorothy, we're not in SWVA anymore...








Today was a very stereotypical British day; when I woke up it was POURING down rain. Like blowing sideways. I decided since I had to walk three miles if I chose to walk, since I would be wetter than a turtle in the Duck Pond if I rode my bike, that the best option was to take the bus. It probably was the best decision overall, but Cambridge traffic made that decision cost me almost 10 minutes of class time, having to run and get my pages printed at the college (and almond butter for lunch at the grocery) cause me to get quite damp, and I ended up have wet feet, very wet feet, ALL. DAY. LONG. Yay. Please note, I wore my long raincoat (thanks Mom) and brought my cheery umbrella (thanks Grandma Bryan!). But, I did wear my rough and tumble snow boots - not "wellies" (rain boots). Yes, I confess. I left my rain boots. Not in our spring stash - in our storage unit. Not my brightest moment. As Josh said, "Is there anywhere else in the world better known for rain? ...except Seattle? No! Not even Seattle! What were you thinking?! I should give you a noogie right now..."

But in other news. Classes are great (today was the first day - if we had a little blackboard I probably would have written 1st day of school on it and posed with my raincoat and the sign in front of our door...), my fellow students are wonderfully interesting, and I can't imagine anywhere else in the world I'd rather be. While I was walking down the street toward the bus this morning in the pouring rain, I was thinking two things: "Smiling here is almost subversive - but this is the day the Lord has made and I will rejoice and be glad in it!" and "I'd rather be walking in England in the pouring rain than in the States on a sunny day - God put us here at just the right time for a very good reason."

More adventures to come!

Comments