It's the little things in life... that's what people say anyway. Personally, I get a great deal of joy from "the little things," but I think maybe it's the "big" things that make life worth living - things like grace and salvation, things like Christ's love, a spouse's lifelong promise, family, hope. The "little thing" that got me started waxing philosophical this evening was the church bells down the street. I don't know how many churches there are in Cambridge but a great deal of them ring their bells many times every day and the sound wafts to you almost everywhere in the city.
I told you all about our walk around medieval Cambridge last time, but I hadn't really uploaded photos yet, so here are a few:
Also, I don't know if I've really described our flat to you all. We are very blessed to be just barely north of the city centre. Technically we're still in the centre because we aren't north of the river, but to get almost anywhere you have to walk south. Our flat is in an adorable row of rowhouses (how aptly named...) on a little tiny street adjacent to Jesus Green.
We are right by the river (just a couple hundred yards) but I haven't ventured over there yet because it's the opposite direction of everywhere I typically need to go. I'm not sure how old our flat is; I'm guessing it's not less than 30+ years old, but the college, who provides our housing, has done a great job of keeping it up. We have new carpet in two of the rooms, a clean and modern kitchen with an American refrigerator, a rare luxury, and a shower with enough water pressure to get conditioner out of my hair. The only downside is the living organism in our washing machine; I'm trying to get the mycology department to come take a look, but so far it's been a no-go. Hahaha... but on a positive note, we are allowed to use the free laundry facilities in St. John's and they are fantastic!
All the wonderful things about Britain so far... really they're too many to list, but I'll give you some of the highlights of this week: Studying a subject that is near and dear to my heart with loads of other passionate people from all over the world; a college that is warm, welcoming, and quite social; lemon-ginger tea; wine tastings with new friends; porters that smile at you (porters are essentially the gatekeepers of every college - they can be quite intimidating if you're not where you're supposed to be, but they are also quite helpful and there 24 hours a day - probably one of the only 24 hour services in Britain);lunch at the buttery with a fellow American student; crepes on morning dates with the hubby;
brisk walks; riding a bike to literally anywhere I want to go;
kind friends; a new church; other Americans; fast internet (a Godsend for Josh especially as he transitions to working abroad); formal dinners;
and, of course, tons of great accents. ;-)
There are so many things to be thankful for - even the "not-so-great" things are blessings and opportunities and I want to learn to give praise in every situation.
Confession: Twice this week I have been severely irritated with the British way of administrating things (essentially under the credo "we take the long way round") and let that frustration dictate my attitude and my words - in the sense of complaining.
But every trial is an opportunity to petition more of God's grace for ourselves and others - it's a doorway to heaven, a thin place if you will. It's all about the perspective. Kind of reminds me of a phrase my mom used to repeat to me frequently growing up, "You can choose to be happy or you can choose to be miserable..." I want to choose to be happy, even in the midst of what could be miserable, because to make that choice authentically I need Jesus' Spirit living through me. And without a doubt I could use more of that.
A few more pics from the last couple days:
I told you all about our walk around medieval Cambridge last time, but I hadn't really uploaded photos yet, so here are a few:
The back of New Court (pre-walking tour) covered in autumnal glory
My handsome husband and I enjoying the weather
Majestic New Court
The "Borderer" - the gentleman who is from John's who gave us the tour
and the oldest building on our college grounds (1100s or something
like that?) that is now our archive.
View from the mound where the Anglo-Saxon Castle was once.
Another view from Castle Hill
Another view of St. Peter's - the oldest church in Cambridge
Also, I don't know if I've really described our flat to you all. We are very blessed to be just barely north of the city centre. Technically we're still in the centre because we aren't north of the river, but to get almost anywhere you have to walk south. Our flat is in an adorable row of rowhouses (how aptly named...) on a little tiny street adjacent to Jesus Green.
Our flat: we're on the bottom floor
Our bedroom
The living room
Our road looking south to north and slightly west
Our road looking south to north and slightly east
We are right by the river (just a couple hundred yards) but I haven't ventured over there yet because it's the opposite direction of everywhere I typically need to go. I'm not sure how old our flat is; I'm guessing it's not less than 30+ years old, but the college, who provides our housing, has done a great job of keeping it up. We have new carpet in two of the rooms, a clean and modern kitchen with an American refrigerator, a rare luxury, and a shower with enough water pressure to get conditioner out of my hair. The only downside is the living organism in our washing machine; I'm trying to get the mycology department to come take a look, but so far it's been a no-go. Hahaha... but on a positive note, we are allowed to use the free laundry facilities in St. John's and they are fantastic!
All the wonderful things about Britain so far... really they're too many to list, but I'll give you some of the highlights of this week: Studying a subject that is near and dear to my heart with loads of other passionate people from all over the world; a college that is warm, welcoming, and quite social; lemon-ginger tea; wine tastings with new friends; porters that smile at you (porters are essentially the gatekeepers of every college - they can be quite intimidating if you're not where you're supposed to be, but they are also quite helpful and there 24 hours a day - probably one of the only 24 hour services in Britain);lunch at the buttery with a fellow American student; crepes on morning dates with the hubby;
Delicious!!
brisk walks; riding a bike to literally anywhere I want to go;
My spiffy ride
kind friends; a new church; other Americans; fast internet (a Godsend for Josh especially as he transitions to working abroad); formal dinners;
Inside our Great Hall
All dressed out for dinner!
and, of course, tons of great accents. ;-)
There are so many things to be thankful for - even the "not-so-great" things are blessings and opportunities and I want to learn to give praise in every situation.
Confession: Twice this week I have been severely irritated with the British way of administrating things (essentially under the credo "we take the long way round") and let that frustration dictate my attitude and my words - in the sense of complaining.
But every trial is an opportunity to petition more of God's grace for ourselves and others - it's a doorway to heaven, a thin place if you will. It's all about the perspective. Kind of reminds me of a phrase my mom used to repeat to me frequently growing up, "You can choose to be happy or you can choose to be miserable..." I want to choose to be happy, even in the midst of what could be miserable, because to make that choice authentically I need Jesus' Spirit living through me. And without a doubt I could use more of that.
A few more pics from the last couple days:
Good ol' King Henry VIII as seen on my daily trek to my Faculty
King's College - simply stunning
The clock that all the tourist stare at and take pictures of -
it reminds me of something from Alice in Wonderland
The Senate House
One of my favorite views in all Cambridge... + my finger








Comments
Post a Comment