Matthew 6:12a


After all You did for me, how could I have done it again?
Never again, I promised myself, never again will I
Do this evil thing, searing my conscience, breaking Your heart.

Fully committed to keep Your Word, until temptation knocks
On my door.
Recognition sets in all too late:
God, I’ve done it again;
I fell for the same old lie I’ve believed time after time.
Virulent half-truths spread through my mind, sounding like my own voice,
Even when they spew ridiculous nonsense.

Underhanded ways of the enemy reach up to catch at my feet,
Snaring me with flattery that leads to falsehood.

Only after I have fallen do I see the reality of those words,
Understand their emptiness,
Recognize their aim:

Death. That is all that awaits me when I fall facedown;
Earth rises up to meet me as I walk along a path You did not intend.
Better get up, turn back around, and head another way -
There is a way that seems right to a man, but in the end it leads to death -
Softly whispered behind me are the words of Kindness, my guide…

Comments