Dulce Et Decorum Est

      The title of this entry is two-fold, first to honor a young man who gave up his life in the cause of freedom this past month and second to sing the praises of our God as He continues to reveal Himself here in Oxford.


First, I found out that First Lieutenant Tyler Parten, the beloved of an acquaintance was killed in action on September 10th in Konar province, Afghanistan, defending the rights of a people abroad as well as the ideals and freedoms of his loved ones at home. Though I did not have the opportunity to meet Tyler, I hold his memory up with respect and honor for his sacrifice. At first, the news simply reminded me of my own mortality and required my attention in respect to my own purpose, walk, and plans. A few days later, one of the lecturers here spoke on British literature of the 20th century and quoted a poem disparaging the practice of war and the consequences thereof. I was incensed that such a work should be repeated (because soldiers have died giving the poet the freedom to write it and we will not thwart their sacrifice by the revocation of his right to express himself), but nonetheless, I was angered that it would be cited as exemplary literature. Fortunately, good turned the despair, dust, horror, and ashes of that lecture into something beautiful when I heard the last line of the poem, "Dulce et decorum est pro patria mori." "How sweet and fitting it is to die for one's country." This line echoed and reverberated in the halls of my mind, and slowly, an idea began to form. I could take the words of this man, meant for dishonor, and turn them into something beautiful, a memoriam to those who paid the ultimate price.
So, in honor of 1st Lieutenant Parten and especially dedicated to his love, Meg, I present:

"Dulce Et Decorum Est"

That a life should come and go,
Fragile as the falling snow...
Dying that the world may know
What freedom is.

A man of honor, man of God
Laid beneath the heavy sod
Walking now where angels trod,
Where freedom is.

Songs have long been sung
For men of courage, hope, and worth.
Those strains now honor him;
Our hero rests within the earth.

But now for those he's left behind,
For all his loved ones who have pined
May the Lord help you to find
Where freedom is.

He is joyful, he is home;
These curs'd shores no more to roam;
Teaching those beneath the dome
What freedom is.

Though the sorrow rends the breast
And each day ends with a sigh,
Our comfort is in Him
And by grace to Him we'll fly.

So for now let children sing
And the Lord teach us to see
Dulce et decorum est
Pro patria mori.



Secondly, the Lord continues to move in amazing ways here in this incredible city. I was delighted to have a guest on Friday, Will Flathers came down from Sheffield and we spent an excellent afternoon discussing the delights of England, the sovereignty of God, the blessing of the heritage we have received in the Lord from our parents, and the heart of Church that we have encountered here. It was truly a blessing to spend time with a brother that knew enough about my background that I felt it unnecessary to
explain myself extensively and knew the church here even better than I. It has been a blessing to join the body here and I hope that God will continue to disciple me as I seek His face and learn to walk in His ways. My other prayer is also being answered, that is, that God would teach me to love others and use my gifts for the benefit of the body. There is a young lady on the trip that needs to feel the love of God and I have been blessed to be His instrument to her. Please remember her in your prayers.

I continue to pray that the Lord would use me in the life of His church here. I feel as though there have been two ideas that have been chasing each other around in my head since I got here, and perhaps they are pieces to the puzzle that continues to unfold. The first is, "How good and pleasant it is when brothers live together in unity!" (Psalm 133:1). How sweet and fitting it is to be with His people. As I mentioned, I feel as though God has given me family here and I hope to get to know them better and minister to them.  Which relates to the second thought, "Ask the Lord of the harvest, therefore, to send out workers into his harvest field." (Matt. 9:38). That is why I am here (at least I hope so). Since I received notice that I was coming, it has seemed more and more like a missions trip with the added benefits of college credit. Please continue to lift me up as I know there will be opposition and distraction.

Thank you for your thoughts and prayers, the Lord is good indeed!

From his church in Oxford,
Grace and peace to you in the name of our God and Father of the Lord Jesus Christ!

Comments