I think the number one lesson that we learn as followers of Jesus is to expect the unexpected. Like two weeks ago, when Josh and I discovered snowdrops on our way to the laundry.
They're so beautiful and delicate - you can hardly believe they survive the nights and the lingering winter chill. Or the pretty little songbirds that are merrily heralding springtime on every corner in the mornings and afternoons these days. It's so exciting and encouraging. So hopeful.
Another thing that's been unexpected is just how laid back our time here in Cambridge has been. That's not to say there aren't crazy moments (like when Josh can't seem to get anyone to plow parking lots on that side of the pond after a snowstorm, or when I'm a few days out from my poster presentation and my idea gets nixed), but honestly, the fires we've had to put out lately have been so small and we are so grateful for this restful season.
It's been a season of the unexpected really - a few weeks ago our church held their "Vision Sunday" where the pastors and church leaders talk about the dreams God has given them in relation to the church's future. At that service they announced that they believe God has called them to plant a centre in London in the next few years (among other, shorter-term goals). It's exciting and unexpected. It seems like God is always tipping His hand just enough to catch us off guard and give us a thrill when we realize He's been planning this all along.
One thing I did/do know is that I love theatre - it speaks to my heart, it energizes me, it breathes life into my soul. But when I got involved with The Cambridge Passion - the story of Jesus' final week/weeks on earth - I didn't expect how much it would touch my heart and my spirit. I have been so challenged to sit and take time to reflect, to wonder at the love of God, to repent and draw near to my Father. God is so good - I guess I ought to expect that by now. (By the way, if you want to hear a foreshortened version of the play, we recorded it for the BBC here and you can listen to it online!)
But to be honest, I love that I don't - expect what's just around the corner, I mean. I love to be surprised by His goodness; caught off-guard by His graces, big and small, that invade my daily existence. More and more He's taking me deeper into what it means to be a daughter of the King. It's tough, it take more discipline than I like and more obedience than is comfortable, but it's the most exciting journey I've ever been on and it's full of the unexpected.
They're so beautiful and delicate - you can hardly believe they survive the nights and the lingering winter chill. Or the pretty little songbirds that are merrily heralding springtime on every corner in the mornings and afternoons these days. It's so exciting and encouraging. So hopeful.
Another thing that's been unexpected is just how laid back our time here in Cambridge has been. That's not to say there aren't crazy moments (like when Josh can't seem to get anyone to plow parking lots on that side of the pond after a snowstorm, or when I'm a few days out from my poster presentation and my idea gets nixed), but honestly, the fires we've had to put out lately have been so small and we are so grateful for this restful season.
It's been a season of the unexpected really - a few weeks ago our church held their "Vision Sunday" where the pastors and church leaders talk about the dreams God has given them in relation to the church's future. At that service they announced that they believe God has called them to plant a centre in London in the next few years (among other, shorter-term goals). It's exciting and unexpected. It seems like God is always tipping His hand just enough to catch us off guard and give us a thrill when we realize He's been planning this all along.
One thing I did/do know is that I love theatre - it speaks to my heart, it energizes me, it breathes life into my soul. But when I got involved with The Cambridge Passion - the story of Jesus' final week/weeks on earth - I didn't expect how much it would touch my heart and my spirit. I have been so challenged to sit and take time to reflect, to wonder at the love of God, to repent and draw near to my Father. God is so good - I guess I ought to expect that by now. (By the way, if you want to hear a foreshortened version of the play, we recorded it for the BBC here and you can listen to it online!)
But to be honest, I love that I don't - expect what's just around the corner, I mean. I love to be surprised by His goodness; caught off-guard by His graces, big and small, that invade my daily existence. More and more He's taking me deeper into what it means to be a daughter of the King. It's tough, it take more discipline than I like and more obedience than is comfortable, but it's the most exciting journey I've ever been on and it's full of the unexpected.


Comments
Post a Comment