So Cambridge.
I know my last post was very introspective, so I've decided to scrap the introspection for this post and give you the straight facts. Ok, mostly... :)
I have arrived in Cambridge - if that wasn't obvious already - and although the five year gap between my time in Oxford and here, now, isn't that large in the grand scheme of things, it's enough to forget key pieces of information - like how to open a British door that has no proper handle, what to buy where, how to operate the shower, what to order when you go to the pub, and that tuppence is ten pence, not two.
I arrived on Thursday, the 2nd. The official reception day wasn't until Friday, so all I was really concerned with was getting the keys to our flat so I could dump the seemingly massive amount of baggage I had with me. After two flights, a coach (large bus, for those not familiar), and 2 taxis, all I wanted to do was stop worrying about if my bags and I were all going to make it to the same place and change my clothes. I always feel gross after having spent over 24 hours in the same clothes and I never have the unction to change at the airport. So very wrinkled and probably a little smelly, I showed up at 1 St Johns Rd with a suitcase, a very full duffel bag, and a large purse. The porters at St. John's College Forecourt Lodge had kindly supplied me with a key and I was excited to see our new home (pictures forthcoming).
Suffice it to say that our flat is so much better than I had envisioned it. It is a one-bedroom flat with a very spacious living room, a good sized, non-galley kitchen and a full-size shower/tub. Amazing! Things I noted when I arrived: the couch is big enough to sleep on and it's quite comfortable, the last occupants kindly left us a toaster and a kettle, there were four pillows (no sheets or blankets), and last, but perhaps most importantly, there was no toilet paper! Good thing I had extra napkins in my purse...
So that meant absolutely no nap - there was work to be done. I had arrived at about 1:45 and I needed to get sheets, a towel (left behind in order to help my suitcase "make weight"), a dish or two (since there were none of those either), and of course, TP. Fortunately or unfortunately I didn't have to purchase any of these things when I studied in Oxford so I really wasn't sure where to start. The good news was a very nice member of the Christian Graduate Society had met my bus and provided me with a "freshers' guide" for first year students with some basics. The bad news was, I couldn't seem to figure out the internet situation at first, making finding some of the stores listed a guessing game at best and incredibly frustrating at worst.
Now that I've been here four days, they have started to blend together, but I do remember getting home that evening with my university card, a sheet, 2 pillowcases and a heavy blanket, a towel, a bit of food, and the all important toilet paper. I think I also picked up my academic gown and an ethernet cord - all the essentials, right? The funny (or not so funny) thing of it was how many trips it took me to get all of that since I was walking anywhere from 0.3-0.6 miles one way to the stops on my list. Let me tell you, I was sore on the morning of the 3rd!
So now at least some of the important things are taken care of: I have insurance, I can use the internet, I have a university card, and I've checked my school email a few times. I also have my "diary" (day planner) all up-to-date with the important and social events for the next week or two.
However, the list seems to be getting longer for things needed. While Josh and I did think about bringing a few kitchen essentials, I had to find crockery (dishes), cutlery (silverware), and a shower curtain - challenging, especially the silverware. And at some point I probably ought to buy at least a pot and a pan (I do have a cookie sheet, though; it's all about priorities...). I also probably should get a bath mat, a towel bar, and a clothes hamper, unless we're just going to throw dirty clothes on the floor as if we really are in college again.
Last but not least, I was surprised and pleased by how clean the flat was. Definitely not spotless, but quite clean. However, yesterday I saw a little bug that I couldn't seem to smash and this afternoon I found it again (but smooshed it, thankfully), only to find out it was a flea!! I don't know about you, but that one little flea has made me so paranoid, I've been itching for the last half hour. I'm sure it's an anomaly... at least, I hope so. So now, I'm set to do a bit more shopping and quite a bit of cleaning come Monday (today is rather jam packed with Johnian events) to settle in for someone special who, hopefully, will be here soon. :)
I know my last post was very introspective, so I've decided to scrap the introspection for this post and give you the straight facts. Ok, mostly... :)
I have arrived in Cambridge - if that wasn't obvious already - and although the five year gap between my time in Oxford and here, now, isn't that large in the grand scheme of things, it's enough to forget key pieces of information - like how to open a British door that has no proper handle, what to buy where, how to operate the shower, what to order when you go to the pub, and that tuppence is ten pence, not two.
I arrived on Thursday, the 2nd. The official reception day wasn't until Friday, so all I was really concerned with was getting the keys to our flat so I could dump the seemingly massive amount of baggage I had with me. After two flights, a coach (large bus, for those not familiar), and 2 taxis, all I wanted to do was stop worrying about if my bags and I were all going to make it to the same place and change my clothes. I always feel gross after having spent over 24 hours in the same clothes and I never have the unction to change at the airport. So very wrinkled and probably a little smelly, I showed up at 1 St Johns Rd with a suitcase, a very full duffel bag, and a large purse. The porters at St. John's College Forecourt Lodge had kindly supplied me with a key and I was excited to see our new home (pictures forthcoming).
Suffice it to say that our flat is so much better than I had envisioned it. It is a one-bedroom flat with a very spacious living room, a good sized, non-galley kitchen and a full-size shower/tub. Amazing! Things I noted when I arrived: the couch is big enough to sleep on and it's quite comfortable, the last occupants kindly left us a toaster and a kettle, there were four pillows (no sheets or blankets), and last, but perhaps most importantly, there was no toilet paper! Good thing I had extra napkins in my purse...
So that meant absolutely no nap - there was work to be done. I had arrived at about 1:45 and I needed to get sheets, a towel (left behind in order to help my suitcase "make weight"), a dish or two (since there were none of those either), and of course, TP. Fortunately or unfortunately I didn't have to purchase any of these things when I studied in Oxford so I really wasn't sure where to start. The good news was a very nice member of the Christian Graduate Society had met my bus and provided me with a "freshers' guide" for first year students with some basics. The bad news was, I couldn't seem to figure out the internet situation at first, making finding some of the stores listed a guessing game at best and incredibly frustrating at worst.
Now that I've been here four days, they have started to blend together, but I do remember getting home that evening with my university card, a sheet, 2 pillowcases and a heavy blanket, a towel, a bit of food, and the all important toilet paper. I think I also picked up my academic gown and an ethernet cord - all the essentials, right? The funny (or not so funny) thing of it was how many trips it took me to get all of that since I was walking anywhere from 0.3-0.6 miles one way to the stops on my list. Let me tell you, I was sore on the morning of the 3rd!
So now at least some of the important things are taken care of: I have insurance, I can use the internet, I have a university card, and I've checked my school email a few times. I also have my "diary" (day planner) all up-to-date with the important and social events for the next week or two.
However, the list seems to be getting longer for things needed. While Josh and I did think about bringing a few kitchen essentials, I had to find crockery (dishes), cutlery (silverware), and a shower curtain - challenging, especially the silverware. And at some point I probably ought to buy at least a pot and a pan (I do have a cookie sheet, though; it's all about priorities...). I also probably should get a bath mat, a towel bar, and a clothes hamper, unless we're just going to throw dirty clothes on the floor as if we really are in college again.
Last but not least, I was surprised and pleased by how clean the flat was. Definitely not spotless, but quite clean. However, yesterday I saw a little bug that I couldn't seem to smash and this afternoon I found it again (but smooshed it, thankfully), only to find out it was a flea!! I don't know about you, but that one little flea has made me so paranoid, I've been itching for the last half hour. I'm sure it's an anomaly... at least, I hope so. So now, I'm set to do a bit more shopping and quite a bit of cleaning come Monday (today is rather jam packed with Johnian events) to settle in for someone special who, hopefully, will be here soon. :)
Comments
Post a Comment